My Research Question

Does a social justice based mathematics program improve student engagement and/or achievement in mathematics?

The context of my research

  • Class Ethnicity Breakdown: 6 Caucasian, 2 Hispanic, 1 Native American
  • Socioeconomic status of students: Middle Class
  • 1 teaching principal and a secretary at school
  • 3 teachers at school
  • 30 students at K-8th grade school
  • 9 students; 4-6th Grade, 4-7th Grade, 1-Advanced 5th Grader
  • Mathematics
  • 6th-7th grade

Results

The result of my study is that a Social Justice based mathematics program increases student engagement and achievement in mathematics.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Data Collection Techniques

After implementing the two social justice mathematics units during spring 2008 I collected a great deal of data. As I was new to AR I didn't know exactly what would be most relevant so I collected everything I could think of.

To determine whether student's had become more engaged in mathematics I collected the following data:
  • Post-survey
  • Post-interviews (all students)
  • Student work (math notebooks and final group projects)
  • Student reflections
  • My teaching journal
  • My professional development reflections
  • Parent surveys
To determine whether students were becoming more academically more proficient in mathematics I collected the following data:
  • Spring 2008 CST results
  • Student grades
In my next post I will talk about some of my most relevant results and the conclusions I was able to draw from them.

2 comments:

Fergusons said...

Thanks for the list!!! I often wonder if I am on the right track in what I am collecting. It is good to see what others are doing. I look forward to your next post, I wonder which pieces are the most useful in my own project as well. Are you already done writing everything up and whatnot?

LothLorien Stewart said...

I just finished my rough draft of the whole deal. God it's long. Now I've just got editing to do...I feel better.