My Research Question

Does a social justice based mathematics program improve student engagement and/or achievement in mathematics?

The context of my research

  • Class Ethnicity Breakdown: 6 Caucasian, 2 Hispanic, 1 Native American
  • Socioeconomic status of students: Middle Class
  • 1 teaching principal and a secretary at school
  • 3 teachers at school
  • 30 students at K-8th grade school
  • 9 students; 4-6th Grade, 4-7th Grade, 1-Advanced 5th Grader
  • Mathematics
  • 6th-7th grade

Results

The result of my study is that a Social Justice based mathematics program increases student engagement and achievement in mathematics.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rusults Without Surprises

Photo: A student organizes her research on the War in Iraq

The data I collected via student surveys, student interview, student work samples, reflections, my teaching journal, parent surveys, and my professional development reflections revealed that my students were more engaged and more academically proficient in mathematics after the implementation of the two social justice based mathematics units described in earlier posts.

In short, the result of my study is that a Social Justice based mathematics program increases student engagement and achievement in mathematics.

These results were not surprising because it had always seemed obvious to me as a teacher that interesting real world based lessons, activities, and assignments would interest students more than traditional mathematics, which my students clearly did not care for. It also seemed very clear that if I could engage my students, they would learn the math and thus do better academically in mathematics. My results didn't surprise me because it just made sense that what I was doing would have a positive result for my students.

In future posts I will share some of my most interesting data. My students said some insightful things that I could not say better and I want to share them with you, my readers.

6 comments:

Ismael said...

You know, Lothy, I don't think we give students enough credit sometimes. They are very inquisitive, insightful, and ingenious in their thinking, but we most often don't give them the time of day! This year, I've had the opportunity to teach the GATE cluster for mathematics and getting to know them has been a real treat. As a matter of fact, I think that I've come to know them just as well as my own students during the month they've been with me. I've taken the time to discover some of their interests and joke with them based on those interests during class. One of my students has been closely following the World Series and the playoffs prior to that with her dad, and we've had an opportunity to bring some the math related to baseball into the classroom. Even those who are not fans have enjoyed it.

LothLorien Stewart said...

I agree with you, Ish. The kids are smart and insightful. They are often way ahead of me. I love them for it and do my best, through the use of classroom meetings and other inclusive planning tools, to incorporate them in making decisions and coming up with new ideas for what our class can be. It's a delightful process!

Barrera said...

I'm glad to see that your plan resulted in a positive outcome. This will lead you into a new direction as you lesson plan for your diverse learning community.

I am curious as to what other areas you can base your lessons on that your students will respond to.

Sandra Seals said...

I'm glad your results are validating your thoughts about social justice based math lessons. I find that the more I implement real world, student centered lessons the more my students rise to the occasion. I also believe that if our students find the challenge we give them to have a purpose they usually do great things with their minds.

Kimberly V. Marcis said...

It has been fun to watch you get so into this subject and create such engaging curriculum for the students. One part that I appreciate is your willingness to address the needs of the students. Although I know your first choice for action research might not have been math, you knew that was an area that your school needed to focus on. I hope that your units will continue to be implemented at your sight. You have inspired me to do some election math with my kids next week. Go Obama!!!

LothLorien Stewart said...

Dave,

I learned that it is best to give my students the chance to come up with focus areas for social justice based mathematics projects. They know a lot about their world and if they choose the topic I know they will be excited about it. That's what I'll be doing in the future to choose focus areas.