My Research Question

Does a social justice based mathematics program improve student engagement and/or achievement in mathematics?

The context of my research

  • Class Ethnicity Breakdown: 6 Caucasian, 2 Hispanic, 1 Native American
  • Socioeconomic status of students: Middle Class
  • 1 teaching principal and a secretary at school
  • 3 teachers at school
  • 30 students at K-8th grade school
  • 9 students; 4-6th Grade, 4-7th Grade, 1-Advanced 5th Grader
  • Mathematics
  • 6th-7th grade

Results

The result of my study is that a Social Justice based mathematics program increases student engagement and achievement in mathematics.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Specific Results from Student Interviews

The interviews I conducted with my students were fascinating and yielded the overall result of an increase in engagement due to the social justice based mathematics units. What follows are some specific questions I asked in the interviews and the student's responses.

In response to the interview question “What is your favorite way to learn math at school and why?” many students explained that they enjoyed the social justice based math units. Student 1 (personal communication, June 3, 2008) responded as follows:

I liked the group projects. I liked learning about all the different things that is happening around the world. And what we mainly talked about was all the prices and I also liked learning with ST Math and when you plan lessons for us.

Student 3 (personal communication, June 3, 2008) agreed:

My favorite way to learn math is the math group projects. I think those are really fun. I know they take a lot of time up but they are worth it to do because you get to work with other people and you get to research a lot and also using math.

Student 6, Student 10, Student 9, and Student 4 also said that their favorite way to learn math was when they worked in groups during the social justice based math units. Student 6 explained that she liked doing the group projects because “it’s not just me trying to figure it all out. I have people helping me.” Overall, six out of the nine students in my grade math class specifically said that their favorite way to learn math was in the small group projects I used in the social justice mathematics unit. A few also noted that they liked doing the research on the computer during the units.

In response to the interview question “How has your view or opinion of mathematics changed during these two units? Do you like math more or less after doing these two units or the same?” students either reported that they liked math more or that their opinion of math had not changed. One of the students whose opinion of math did not change, student 8 (personal communication, June 3, 2008) said the following: “My view or opinion of math hasn’t changed much because I’ve always been pretty good at math and it can be hard and frustrating at times.” Student 1’s (personal communication, June 3, 2008) opinion had changed and she said, “After the two units I like math more because I learned that you don’t just have to learn about like certain things. You can do a bunch of different things in math.” Student 6 (personal communication, May 29, 2008) also said that she liked math more after the units and gave some reasons for this change:

I think I like math more now because it seems more fun when we do these because you get to talk with your friends about it and it brings up a better discussion like if (Student 4) and I are at recess we would like bring up the discussion of the Iraq War and we’d spend the whole recess talking about that and we’d even come to class and we’d still be talking about it.

Overall, in response to this question 55.5% of the students in my math class stated that they liked math more because of the social justice mathematics units. The other 44.4% stated that their opinions about math had not changed. This shows that a majority of the student’s learned to enjoy math more because of the social justice based mathematics units. This is my best measure of student engagement, if students like math more they are also very likely to be more engaged in math.

The student interviews showed that students were engaged in the social justice mathematics units. The students approved of the units and hoped to do more in the following school year. Their enthusiasm was evident in their interview responses as I conducted the interviews and as I transcribed them.

No comments: